“Store — My Chocolate?”
“Why that’s silly,” you say. “I’m just going to eat them!” And we entirely agree. But you never know — someday you may need to keep your gourmet chocolates fresh for more than 24 hours. And when that day comes, you’ll find the following pointers useful:
Tips for Storing Your Chocolates
- DON’T REFRIGERATE! Chocolate easily absorbs odors of whatever’s in the refrigerator (Roquefort cheese, lamb curry — you get the idea). Moisture in the fridge can also lead to “sugar bloom,” meaning the sugar rises to the surface and discolors the chocolate (which has no effect on flavor, but doesn’t look too appealing). So instead of the fridge:
- Store it in a cool, dry place. When chocolate is kept at a consistent temperature below 70°F (ideally between 65 and 68°F), and at a humidity of less than 55%, the emulsion of cocoa solids and cocoa butter will stay stable for months.
- But even in a cool, dry place: Remember that cocoa butter (the vegetable fat in chocolate) picks up the smell of whatever’s around it. So unless you want your bonbons and bars to taste like vanilla extract or garlic powder, follow the next rule:
- Seal them in an air-tight container. Oxygen does just what you’d expect it to — it oxidizes chocolate, which causes less-than-ideal flavors to develop. And although chocolates are not known to be a favorite food of vampires…
- Keep them away from the light! Not just sunlight (unless you want to make fondue), but also artificial light. They both cast the same kind of bad-flavor spell as oxygen does.
- Stored this way, chocolate will last a while: Solid milk chocolate keeps for over a year; solid dark keeps for nearly two years; and white for four months. Filled chocolates, such as truffles, keep for about three to four months (unless they’re full of preservatives).
Of course, our chocolates never contain any preservatives or additives, so be sure to eat them while they’re fresh! Or, if you have a large supply, create a candy buffet and invite your friends over to share. (At right, a chocolate buffet adds a perfect touch to weddings and parties.)
- Sometimes, you have to refrigerate: Summer’s hot, and not everyone uses air conditioning. But before you put chocolate in the fridge, first wrap it tightly to protect against odors and condensation, then seal it in an airtight container. When you take it out, let it come back to room temperature before unwrapping. This will keep your chocolates edible for anywhere from three to six months.
- And if you need to store it longer: For durations of six months to a year, the freezer can be your friend. Follow the instructions above for placing your chocolates in the refrigerator. Once a full 24 hours have gone by, move the container from the fridge to your freezer (this avoids temperature shock, and helps preserve texture). To remove from the freezer — just reverse the steps. Move from freezer to fridge, wait a full 24 hours, remove from the fridge, and let come to room temperature before you finally unwrap them. (Always eat your chocolate at room temperature, especially truffles!)
Interested in learning more? Be sure to explore all of our chocolate information and delicious recipes that can be made with our gourmet chocolate!
51 thoughts on “How to Store Chocolate & Keep it Fresh”
After going over a few of the blog articles on your site, I truly appreciate your
technique of blogging. I saved as a favorite
it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back
soon. Please visit my web site too and let me
know how you feel.
Unquestionably believe that which you stated.
Your favourite justification appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to take
into account of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed whilst other people think about worries that they plainly don’t realize about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and outlined out
the whole thing without having side-effects , other people can take a
signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank
you’re truly a good webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing.
It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork.
you have done a wonderful job in this subject!
Thank you for your support!
Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
Extremely helpful information particularly the last part 🙂 I care for
such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time.
Thank you and good luck.
Thanks for a marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you might
be a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the future.
I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great job,
have a nice holiday weekend!
Hi would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re using?
I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a honest price?
Kudos, I appreciate it!
I’m gone to tell my little brother, that he should also visit this weblog on regular basis to
obtain updated from most up-to-date reports.
You made some decent points there. I looked
on the net for more info about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this site.
Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog so i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its
ok to use some of your ideas!!
It’s very straightforward to find out any topic on net as compared
to books, as I found this piece of writing at this site.
Thanks regarding furnishing this kind of great articles.
This design is spectacular! You definitely know how to keep a reader entertained.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to
start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent
job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to
be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just
don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top
as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.
Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
When some one searches for his required thing, thus he/she wishes to be available that in detail,
so that thing is maintained over here.
Thank you so much will be much appreciated.
Does your site have a contact page? I’m having trouble locating it but, I’d like to
send you an e-mail. I’ve got some suggestions for your blog you might be
interested in hearing. Either way, great website and I look forward to
seeing it improve over time.
Thanks for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and
I will be waiting for your next write ups thank you once again.
Thank you so much!
Hi! I just want to give you a huge thumbs up for your excellent
information you have got right here on this post. I am returning to your site for
Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the
book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to
drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is
magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.
Remarkable! Its truly awesome paragraph, I have got much clear idea on the topic
of from this piece of writing.
Thanks for finally talking about >How to Store Chocolate & Keep it Fresh – Violet Chocolates <Liked it!
Saved as a favorite, I like your website!
Hey! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative
in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!
I am really grateful to the holder of this web page
who has shared this great post at here.
I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your
sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your
website to come back later. All the best
where can i buy furosemide in the uk
Sorry we only have stores in Australia at the moment.
This post will assist the internet users for setting
up new website or even a weblog from start to end.
Thank you for your kind support!
Thanks for the marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you could be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and
will eventually come back at some point. I want to encourage continue your great work, have
a nice evening!
Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed!
Extremely helpful information specially the last part 🙂 I care for
such info a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long
time. Thank you and best of luck.
Thank you! Best wish to you & your family!
When some one searches for his necessary thing, therefore he/she desires to be available that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.
Thank you! a very appropriate description.
Hello! This post could not be written any better!
Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always
kept talking about this. I will forward this page
to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.
Thank you for sharing!
Thank you so much!
Thanks to my father who shared with me about this web site, this blog is really remarkable.
What’s up to every one, the contents existing at this web site are truly remarkable for people experience, well, keep up the good work fellows.
Thank you so much!
What’s up to every body, it’s my first visit of this webpage; this website
consists of awesome and in fact good information for readers.
Thank you for your support.
Hi there to every , for the reason that I am genuinely keen of reading this web site’s post to be updated on a
regular basis. It carries fastidious data.
Great blog here! Also your site loads up very fast!
What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink to your host?
I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol
Hello everybody, here every one is sharing these kinds of know-how, therefore it’s pleasant to read this website, and I used to go to see this blog every day.
cialis online india
buy cialis generic online
buy tamoxifen online
Comments are closed.